You are here
Error messageDeprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in i18n_book_navigation_set_breadcrumb() (line 212 of /apps/aec.afdb.org/sites/all/modules/i18n_book_navigation/i18n_book_navigation.module).
The African Economic Conference is now the leading forum for discussing Africa’s issues of the day. The specific objectives of the African Economic Conference are to:
- Promote knowledge management as an important driver of policy dialogue, good policy planning and implementation.
- Foster dialogue that promotes the exchange of ideas and innovative thinking among researchers, development practitioners and policymakers.
- Encourage and enhance research on economic and policy issues related to the development of African economies by promoting evidence-based policymaking.
- Provide an opportunity for young African researchers, Africans in the Diaspora, and organizations to share knowledge with policymakers; and
- Serve as a platform for researchers, policymakers, and private sector operators to meet and have consensus on regional and continental integration as an instrument to accelerate Africa’s inclusive and sustainable development.
Since its inception in 2006, the AEC series has fostered dialogue and the exchange of knowledge on a variety of issues and challenges that Africa is facing (see Box 1).
Box 1 - Past themes of the African Economic Conference
- AEC 2006 - Accelerating Africa’s Development Five Years into the 21st century.
- AEC 2007 - Opportunities and Challenges of Development for Africa in the Global Arena
- AEC 2008 - Globalization, Institutions and Economic Development of Africa
- AEC 2009 - Fostering Development in an Era of Financial and Economic Crises
- AEC 2010 - Setting the Agenda for Africa’s Economic Recovery and Long-Term Growth
- AEC 2011 - Green Economy and Structural Transformation in Africa
- AEC 2012 - Fostering Inclusive and Sustainable Development in Africa in an Age of Global Economic Uncertainty
- AEC 2013 - Regional Integration in Africa
- AEC 2014 - Knowledge and Innovation for Africa’s Transformation
- AEC 2015 - Addressing Poverty and Inequality in the Post 2015 Development Agenda
- AEC 2016 – Feed Africa: Towards Agro-Allied Industrialization for Inclusive Growth
- AEC 2017 – Governance for structural transformation
- AEC 2018 - Regional and Continental Integration for Africa’s development
- AEC 2019 - Jobs, Entrepreneurship and Capacity Development for African Youths
- AEC 2020 - Africa beyond COVID-19: Accelerating towards inclusive sustainable development